Today we are providing simple steps to check your tax refund status online. What is Income Tax Refund? An Income Tax Refund is a refund which is issued to the taxpayer by Income Tax authorities when his tax liability is less than the actual taxes he paid.
Am I eligible for an Income Tax refund ?
There are many cases wherein you will be eligible for a refund. Some of them are:
- If the tax you’ve paid in advance on the basis of self-assessment is more than the tax payable on the basis of regular assessment.
- Supposing that your tax deducted at source (TDS) from salary, interest on securities or debentures, dividends, etc. is higher than the tax payable on the basis of regular assessment.
- If the tax charged, based on regular assessments, gets reduced because an error in the assessment process was resolved.
- The same income is taxed in a foreign country (with which the government of India has an agreement to avoid double-taxation) and in India as well.
- If you have investments which offer tax benefits and deductions that you have not declared.
- If you find, after considering the taxes you’ve paid and the deductions you are allowed, that the tax paid amount is in the negative.
How to Get Income Tax Refund in India ?
Tax refund can be claimed by filing your return of income. Usually the return filing due date each year is 31st of July each year unless extended.
How Much Income Tax Will I Get back ?
To find out the amount of income tax you are eligible to get back as refund, you need to calculate your actual tax liability. If the taxes paid by you are more than your tax liability then the extra taxes paid by you will be refunded by the tax department. You can use our income tax calculator to find out your tax liability and refund that you are eligible for.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Tax Refund ?
The refund is processed within 2 to 6 months from the date of e-filing your return online. It takes longer if you file your returns physically.
Interest Payable on Delay in Refunds
There have been many cases reported that taxpayers do not get their refund in due time. Don’t panic, because you will receive an interest of 0.5% (on your refund) for every month or part of a month that the refund is delayed. The interest calculation commences from the 1st of April of the assessment year. However, if it is found that the reason for any duration of delay is attributable to you, you will not receive any interest for that duration.
Tax refund is paid either through direct credit to your bank account or by cheque.
How to Check Income Tax Refund Status Online
To check your refund status, you can visit the website https://tin.tin.nsdl.com. Then, once you enter your PAN and relevant Assessment Year, you can see your refund status.
If you had e-filed your return, then follow the following procedure :
1) You should go to ITD’s e-filing portal at https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
2) Then login with your user id and password.
3)Now go to “My Account” tab and select “Service Request” from the drop down menu.
4. And fill up all the required details to raise a refund re-issue request.
If you paper-filed your return, then you should contact the concerned Assessing Officer.
Your Status Says that Refund had Returned :
It means that refund sent by speed post has returned undelivered. In such a case, refund is cancelled and retained at CMP centre.
Income Tax Helpline Number and Email ID
If you have any query or complaint regarding Income Tax Refund, then you can register your Income Tax refund complaint online through Aayakar Sampark Kendra Toll Free No. 1800-180-1961 or send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to make any Income Tax refund enquiry regarding modification in refund record related to return processed at CPC Bangalore, you can call on toll free number 1800-425-2229 or 080-43456700.
If you have any payment related query, you should contact SBI Contact Centre Toll Free No. 1800-425-9760.
Fill your PAN, choose relevant Assessment Year and enter captcha code. Now press Submit button to see your tax refund status.
Refund by cheque :
You can track this with the speed post service that has been tasked with delivering it, using the reference number that the IT department will give you.
Your refund status says, paid. You have received the ECS refund advice but your account has not been credited :
This may happen due to wrong account information being used by the bank to transfer the amount or delay in credit to your account on part of the bank.
Steps you should take :
First you need to check the account number and IFSC/MICR code mentioned in the ECS advice slip carefully.
- If account information is correct, then you should contact your bank and enquire about the status of NEFT UTR number or NECS sequence number as displayed on TIN website.
- If account information is incorrect, you should contact your bank to find out if the amount has been credited to wrong account. You can send an email to email@example.com for more guidance.
Hope this article will help you to check your income tax refund status online. Share this article ”How to Check Your Income Tax Refund Status Online” to your friends who are studying CA, CMA, and CS courses.
Zeroinfy.com is India’s Largest Online Platform for Exam Preparation, with over 200+ HD quality video courses, 25+ best Professors. Presently it covers exams like CA, CS, CMA, UPSC CSE, IIT-JEE. We provide access to the best, most reputed Professors, from across India, by streaming their classes online/ delivering it in pen drives. Above all, these lectures can be viewed multiple times, 24X7, anytime anywhere. In addition to this there is a complete freedom to ask questions and clear all doubts at every step by dedicated faculty who give unmatched, personalized feedback. For furthermore enquiries call 8100 800 600 601.
All recent informations related to CA/CS/CMA Courses is available on zeroinfy.com.
To know about the basic concepts of CA/CS/CMA Courses, click here.
For this reason, Keep Visiting to our site zeroinfy.com for more updates….
Another important updates are also available here, subscribe onto blog.zeroinfy.com.. Thank you!!